I'm trying to remember when the act of eating artichokes became a tradition in our household. My mom was the one who introduced us to the mysterious vegetable. I can remember sharing one with my mom and aunt in a Kansas City cafe when I was very young. I felt grown up eating such a sophisticated delicacy. Peeling the leaves from their reluctant host dipping them in the sauces presented in the smooth, white ramekins. Oh yes, this was noshing in style.We now have them at our Easter time meal because they are at their peek from March to May. I buy them when they are green and robust, but not too tightly closed, just starting to open. I usually steam them in a pot of boiling water for anywhere from 20-30 minutes. The dip of choice is a simple one. 3 tbs. of miracle whip to 1 tbs. mustard. ( I know, nothing fancy about that, but it's my favorite.) There are more ideas at this website; http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/artichoke.htm
My sister and I have been known to present them as "break-a-leg" gifts after a theater performance, instead of flowers. It's much more fun to hand over this thorny thistle wrapped with a bow, if nothing else to see the expression on the recipient's face. I did that once when trying to get the attention of a boy I liked in high school. It was December and I decorated an artichoke with a red bow and knocked on his door.... I guess since then it's just always been my signature. If you walk into my kitchen you'll see what I mean. I still regret not buying the artichoke pj's I found at TJ Maxx. I try to christen all my friendships with a ceremonial eating of an artichoke. Richard and I had our artichoke date and watched Benny and June back in 1994. And if I know you, and you've never tried one before...well, watch out! It's just a matter of time.
you are a blogger! I can tell you are going to be a great one too. how fun! did we have asparagus with you guys? if so it's one of the very few times i've ever had it.
ReplyDeleteI love your artichoke theme! I think I can safely say that you are the only person I know that has and artichoke obsession (can I call it an obsession?) It is such a unique trademark. Anytime I see anything artichoke I think of you. I want a cute and unique trademark too. Any ideas???
ReplyDeleteI feel so privileged that our friendship has been christened by the partaking of the ceremonial artichoke. That is a shame that you missed those jammies!
ReplyDelete